The celebration of Marriage is a significant event in one’s life. The Catholic Church looks at the occasion as the celebration of one of the seven Sacraments. It is essential that a couple planning to marry is well prepared. The Staff at Assumption parish is fully qualified and eager to guide and assist you in preparing you for married life and in making your marriage ceremony as holy, beautiful and memorable as you hope it could be.
GUIDELINES FOR THE SACRAMENT OF MARRIAGE
- It is recommended the couple reserve their date on the parish calendar before securing a reception venue. It is advised couples contact the parish at least six months in advance of the desired date.
- Saturday weddings are typically scheduled at 11:00am and 1:00pm. The time for Friday evening weddings is flexible. The date should be set at least six months in advance. You or someone in your family must be a registered member of Assumption. The date can only be set by contacting the parish priest.
- It is the responsibility of the couple to obtain a recent copy of their Baptism Record. You must also obtain a marriage license from the County Courthouse before your wedding day.
Each couple is required to participate in one of the following premarital instruction programs:
- PRE-CANA DAY: These one-day sessions are held at many parishes in the Diocese, as well as the Jesuit Retreat House. You may attend at any parish. Each parish provides the details of its program upon request.
- ENGAGED ENCOUNTER WEEKEND: These weekends are schedule by the Diocese on a regular basis. Further information regarding dates, place and cost are available upon request at the rectory office.
The Wedding Music Guidelines of the Diocese of Cleveland are followed here at Assumption without exception. This means that all musical selections before, during and after the Wedding Liturgy or Service must have religious content or lyrics based on Scripture.
The Director of Music will meet with you and assist you in appropriate musical selection. He will also serve as organist/pianist for your special day. You should select a cantor from the list provided by the Director of Music.
The suggested offering for a wedding is:
- $450.00 – cash/check payable to the Church of the Assumption.
- Clergy: $100.00 – Cash/Check payable to the Celebrant
- Servers: $10.00 each – Cash only
- There are separate fees for the musicians as arranged by individuals.
- All fees must be presented at the rehearsal or another prearranged time.
- This is just a summary of basic information. A more detailed guideline will be provided by the parish staff when planning your wedding ceremony.